Image Map

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Bacon Apple Cheese Bread


If you eat meat chances are you love Bacon.   If you don't love it, you still may realize its power.  The power of Bacon?  I know it seems crazy.   I am not vegetarian but I don't eat a lot of meat and I don't eat a lot of bacon. I do know what it can do.  It's salt, fat and sometimes sweetness all in one.  Bacon in desserts has been on the rise lately and popping up everywhere, especially with chocolate.   Even just bacon dipped in chocolate is becoming popular.

I actually work at a company that produces bacon.  I know a lot of bacon lovers and knew this would get eaten up at work in no time. I also happen to get some free bacon now and then, and I am always looking for some new uses.   I have been eyeing this bread in one of my magazines for two years now.   Every time I open it I think... ooh I need to make that and then I don't know.   Well my wait is no longer, that extra bacon in my fridge is going to be put to use.


Bacon Apple Cheese Bread
(Adapted from Holiday Baking)

INGREDIENTS:

  • 8 strips of maple bacon, diced - only used 3/4 of the pieces in the bread.
  • 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour or gluten free mix
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • Vegetable oil - add to bacon fat to make 1/2 cup
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup Xylitol  (if you don't have Xylitol, omit honey and use 1/2 cup granulated sugar)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 large apple (Mutsu or Crispin), peeled and shredded
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 1/4 cups shredded white old cheddar cheese

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Saute bacon in a medium skillet on medium heat until crisp.  Use a slotted spoon to separate the bits from the liquid.   Transfer the bits to a paper towel and pour the liquid into a measuring cup.  Add enough oil in the cup to equal 1/2 a cup.   
2) Preheat oven to 350F.  Spray with non stick spray a large loaf pan.  In a small bowl combine flour, salt and baking soda and whisk together.  Set aside.
3) In a large bowl combine the oil, honey, xylitol and whisk together until well combined.  Add apple, applesauce and buttermilk. 



4) Fold in/Gently whisk dry mixture into wet until almost combined.   


5) Fold in cheese  (reserving a small handful for the top of the bread) and bacon.


6) Pour battered in prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes.  Sprinkle the top of the loaf with the remaining cheese and then bake another 10 minutes, a wooden skewer will come out clean.   Let loaf cool in pan for another 10-15 minutes, then remove from the dish and let cool completely before slicing.   Store in a sealed container or tightly in saran.

I am such an idiot!  How could I wait so long to bake this.  Even the fact that I accidentally under baked it, it was still amazing.   This is not a dessert bread, it is a nice brunch bread.  Serve it up with some soup and salad and you are good to go.


MEG's RATING : D-EEEE-LICIOUS!

bacon, cheese, bread, loaf, apple, brunch, lunch







5 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great flavour combo! This sounds amazing, and I love breads...must-try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my... I'm a little concerned to tell you the truth, but I really trust you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. apple and cheese bread? SOLD. Yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not gunna lie, this sounds crazy! But it must be good if you say it is :) Maybe I'll test it out on the hubbs....

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...