Image Map

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Mint Chocolate Malt Ball Lentil Brownies


Tomorrow is my last day of work before I go on mat leave for the next year or so.  It has obviously been a 9 month countdown which as it got closer I was getting more and more excited but now that this is the last week it feels a little weird.  I am developing this feeling of missing out.  This has been a very busy year at work and I have felt like I made a big contribution this year and was needed.   So now that I am leaving and getting this sense that things will go on as normal,  its sort of weird.
Now don't get me wrong there is still a part of me that is super excited for this next adventure of baby, a year I am sure I will never forget (except for maybe the first weeks during major sleep deprivation).  I am looking forward to even a re-focus of what I really want moving forward and a focus back to here, the blog.  Hopefully in the next year I can make some changes, get into a pattern, and bake more.   My new concern will be where do I bring my baking in the next year,  if it is in my house it will be a rough ride trying to lose those baby pounds.

Since I opened a can of lentils last week to make my Banana Lentil Muffins, I didn't want to waste the remaining 1/2 can so I decided to try another recipe with lentils.   I of course had to bring a treat in my last week of work and figured brownies would be a good choice.  I was at the bulk barn the other day and all the holiday candies and chocolates are out. Something that got me completely excited.  I spotted these new mint chocolate malt balls and couldn't resist.

Mint Chocolate Malt Ball Lentil Brownies

(adapted from Canadian Lentils)

INGREDIENTS:


  • 1/2 cup lentil puree  (1/2 cup lentils + 2 tbsp water, pureed together)
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted. 
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped mint chocolate malt ball




INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Preheat the oven 350F.  Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
2) Combine lentil puree, sugar, melted butter, cocoa powder and salt.  Mix together.


3) Add eggs, one a time stirring until just combined.
4) Add flour and baking powder.  Stir until almost combined.
5) Add chopped mint malt balls, reserving a handful to toss on top.

Look how pretty they are!

6) Pour into the prepared pan.   Bake for 16 minutes.  Add remaining malt balls to the top.
7) Bake for another 4-6 minutes.   Remove from oven and let cool

Another successful recipe with lentils.   I am not a huge mint and chocolate fan but these malt balls were quite tasty, so in brownies it really worked.   These brownies were moist and minty.

MEG's RATING : D-EEEE-LICIOUS!









4 comments:

  1. I had to google what lentils are! It seems like a strange combination but your brownies look great :)

    x
    Angie
    sundaybelle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. visiting and following from the Thankful Hop - really enjoy your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mint and chocolate, and that I could totally eat more than one of these since there are lentils involved :) Mat leave is definitely an adjustment, not having that schedule of work anymore, but I'm sure you'll love not having to set your alarm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have made black bean brownies but have never had lentil brownies. You got me curious.
    Thanks for sharing. Pinning for future reference

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...