Image Map

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies

I was back and forth about what to bake this time around as I was having a huge craving for cream cheese icing and was leaning towards some red velvet cupcakes.   However I recently bought some more half price candy thanks to Valentines Day.  I picked up some Reese's cup hearts to only realize that I already have some mini cups from Christmas in my freezer.  What's the moral of this story? Check your freezer before you leave? NO,  You can never have enough peanut butter cups!  Red velvet cupcakes are on hold. Cookies are in.  I adapted this recipe from one of my many fine cooking cookie magazines.  I used their peanut butter cookie recipe but changed up the filling to include nutella to add a bit more of a chocolate kick.

INGREDIENTS:


Cookie 

  • 1 1/3 cups (6 oz) AP flour
  • 1/2 cup (2 oz) cake flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup (6 oz) unsalted butter, soft at room temp
  • 3/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
Filling
  • 1 1/2 cup icing sugar
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup nutella
  • 3 tbsp heavy cream
  • 2 tbsp skim milk
  • 3/4 cup chopped peanut butter cups
INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Heat oven to 350F.  Line baking sheets with parchment or silpat (preferred).   Sift together dry ingredients in a medium bowl.  In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter, peanut butter and both sugars on medium untul light and fluffy.  Add vanilla and egg and beat until smooth.   Stir in flour mixture by hand until just incorporated.



2) Drop slightly heaping tablespoons on the baking sheets about 2 inches apart.   Flatten and round each drop into about a 2 inch round.  Bake the cookies until puffed and golden. about 12 minutes, rotating the baking sheets if needed.  (I didn't).   Transfer to a rack to cool. 
3) Make the filling : beat together the sugar, peanut butter and nutella.   It will be a bit crumbly.  Add cream and milk until smooth.  Stir in the chopped peanut butter cups by hand.   
4) Once the cookies are cool, flip some over and use an offset small spatula and spread 1 tbsp of filling onto each flipped cookie.  Set another cookie on top, gently pressing together. 
5) EAT!

I would have to say sandwich cookies are moving their way up to the top of my list of favorites.  You are getting the best of so many worlds, Cookies and a creamy filling.  I guess the Oreo people knew what they were doing. Although I will always choose homemade. It gives you the opportunity to make so many different variations.  The cookies were crunchy and the filling was nutty, creamy and rich.  When some people try and sneak back for seconds I know they are a keeper.  

MEG's RATING: D-EEEE-LICIOUS! 







2 comments:

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...