Image Map

Monday, March 28, 2011

I scream, Brad screams...we love LOVE our ice cream.

Can you believe I have had my ice cream maker for 10 months now and I have not yet used it.  How sad is that?  All this time we have been going out to get our ice cream, well that craziness is over.  Last year our friend Chris told us about this new slab ice cream addition that was added to one of the local Tim Horton's.  Knowing our love for ice cream he said we had to go try this immediately.   This wonderful addition to our lives was Cold Stone Creamery.  I know if you are reading this from the US, Cold Stone is probably not that new to you but it has only started to pop up with in the last year in Canada.  We truly thank you for this. We are huge fans.  I am not sure if it is the endless combinations of toppings and ice cream or the way the everything gets blended together on the ice cold slab to create a flavour masterpiece in a bowl, whatever it is, It's good.  So good we have no problems going in the bitter cold winter.   Every time we go Brad gets the same thing, literally every time. Mud Pie Mojo - Coffee ice cream, roasted almonds, crushed oreo, peanut butter and fudge sauce.   Your mouth is watering right now, isn't it?    I figured it was time to try and make my own version of this delectable dessert.

Coffee Ice Cream

(tweaked from Bakedbree.com recipe)


INGREDIENTS:

  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 tbsp instant coffee
  • 1 tbsp espresso powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup skim milk
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
  • 1 cup skor bits
  • 1 cup dark chocolate chips

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Add egg yolk and vanilla paste in a medium bowl and whisk together.   Set aside  
2) Combine sugar, cornstarch, coffee, espresso and salt in a sauce pan and whisk together.
3) Slowly stir in milk and cream, heat over medium-high heat whisking constantly until milk begins to boil and the liquid begins to thicken.


4) Temper in the hot liquid into the egg yolk, by pouring a small amount into the egg yolk, whisk as you pour to combine and prevent the egg yolk from cooking.    Once combined add in the rest of the mixture, whisking all together.  

5) Cover the mixture with saran wrap, directly on the liquid to prevent a film from forming.  Let the mixture chill for several hours
6) Follow your ice cream maker instructions for final freezing, adding the skor bits and dark chocolate chips at the end of this stage depending on your instructions. 
7) Once it has completed its cycle in your machine, transfer it to a container for storage in the freezer.   The ice cream is best frozen for a few more hours. 



This ice cream was incredible! It was impossible to not sneak some spoon licks while I was trying to take some photos.  Perfect coffee flavour, smooth, creamy and just all around wonderful.   The chocolate chips and skor bits added the perfect amount of crunch and sweetness.   If I didn't know better I would have thought I was at Cold Stone.  Brad made his own "mud pie mojo", mixing the ice cream with some peanut butter, almonds and cookies and cream Hershey's kisses (the closest we had to oreos).  He was thrilled.  It was also nice to have a natural ice cream.  I knew every thing that went into this, nothing artificial, no preservatives.  I feel a new addiction for making my own ice cream developing and just in time for spring and summer.  I am so excited and so is Brad.

MEG's RATING - D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!





1 comment:

  1. My favorite Ben & Jerry's is their Coffee Heath Bar Crunch, and this is similar with some other mix-ins. They don't have the coffee variety in my grocery store, only the vanilla, and it's not near as amazing. Thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...