Image Map

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Individual Apple Crumbles

Another holiday dinner,  which always means I must make apple crumble for Dad.   Every time I make it I try to think of some small tweak I can make just to try something new. My sister, a few friends and I took a trip to the U.S last weekend, when I go I always make my way to Target or Walmart and head straight to the baking aisle to look for anything I can't find in Canada.  This trip I found unwrapped mini caramel balls.  Fantastic, these will be a great addition to this years crumble.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 ramekins
Apples
  • 3 large apples (500 grams - when peeled, cored and chopped)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 4 tbsp caramel balls
Crumble
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked oats
  • 1/4 cup all bran
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup butter plus 1-2 tbsp for dusting ramekins, cut in small cubes   


INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Preheat the oven to 425F.  Peel, core and chop the apples into a medium dice
2) Toss with the flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Set aside
3) Make the crumble :  Combine the oats, brown sugar, all bran, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix together. 
4) Add in the butter, mixing with your hands to combine coating the butter.  The oat mixture will darken as the butter becomes incorporated. 
5) Spread the remaining butter on the bottom and sides of the ramekins.  Place about 1/4 cup of apples in the bottom of each ramekin.  Add 1/4 cup of crumble on top and mix in slightly with the apples.


6) Place one tablespoon of the caramel balls on top of the apple/crumble layer and repeat with another layer of crumble and apples and again with any apples and crumble remaining ensure all apples are covered with the crumble.


7) Place the ramekins on a baking tray, bake at 425F for 15 minutes, then lower temperature to 375F and bake for another 25 minutes. 

Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.




The caramel balls were a wonderful addition. The apples were not too soggy and the crumble was sweet and crunchy.  Apple crumble is just one of those warming, comforting desserts. It will always be a family favorite at my house.

MEG's RATING : D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh that looks amazing!I followed you from the foodie blog roll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this apple widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about apple recipes,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...