Image Map

Monday, June 20, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake

rhubarb, strawberry, coffee cakeMy friend Kelly has a huge rhubarb plant in her backyard that in the spring flourishes with beautiful red stalks. I showed up at her house on the perfect weekend for picking. She was kind enough to chop off several stalks for me to take home.    The funny things is I hadn't eaten a lot of rhubarb in my lifetime unless it has been hidden in pies.  I am looking forward to this fun experiment.  Look how beautiful it looks.

Adapted from Canadian Living

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup butter,  softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup Greek yogurt
1 cup chopped Strawberries
1 cup chopped fresh rhubarb
Streusel:
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp icing sugar




INSTRUCTIONS:


1) Make the streusel:  Combine almonds, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.


2) Preheat the oven to 350F. In a mixer bowl or large bowl combine the butter and sugar and beat until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time with vanilla.


3) In another bowl combine dry ingredients.  Add dry mixture and yogurt, alternating, splitting the dry ingredients into 3 additions, yogurt into 2.   Fold in half the fruit.
4) Spray a bundt pan with non stick spray. Add 1/3 the mixture into the pan and then add the remaining fruit and streusel mixture.  Add the remaining batter on top.


5)  Bake for 35 min until a wooden skewer comes out clean.   Let cool on rack for 5 minutes and remove from pan.   Wrap with saran wrap to keep fresh.

I don't know why but I love fruit bread and cakes.   This cake was moist, fresh and perfectly sweet.   My first attempt at a rhubarb dessert and I am happy.    Thanks Kel for the rhubarb.   I still have some left in the freezer to bake you something.


MEG's RATING : D-EEEE-LICIOUS!

strawberry, rhubarb, coffee cake, cinnamon

1 comment:

  1. What a GORGEOUS looking cake! I haven't gotten my hands on any rhubarb this year (yet!) but I can't wait. Might just have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...