Image Map

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Three Berry and Rhubarb Crumble Bars. A Summer MUST!!

What to do with the remaining rhubarb sitting in my freezer?  I wanted to use it to go along with the brownies and cupcakes I made for the bridal shower. My friend, Kelly who was wonderful enough to give me the Rhubarb was hosting the shower, so I thought it would be great to bring a dessert that showcased some of the fresh fruit growing right in her backyard.


Mixed Fruit Crumble Bars

INGREDIENTS:

Fruit Filling

  • 4 cups fresh berries or rhubarb (fresh or frozen), cut into small 1/2 inch pieces.
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch

Crust

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
  • 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Combine fruit and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fruit is tender about 12-15 minutes.


2)  Combine the granulated sugar and cornstarch in small bowl. Stir into fruit mixture. Continue stirring until mixture comes to a boil.  Continue boiling until thickened about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside, it will continue to thicken as it sits and cools.

3) Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine all crust ingredients in large or mixer bowl. Beat at low speed until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Scrape down if needed so that all mixture is crumbly.





4) Reserve 1 1/2 cups crumb mixture. Press remaining crumb mixture onto bottom of greased 10-inch square baking pan lined with foil.  Spread filling over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
5)  Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.   Let cool completely before removing so that fruit is set.  Cut into squares. 




I sadly have no "hero" shot for theses.   Most of them went to the bridal shower and the remaining went into to work and I simply forgot. It is a shame to because the word needs to be spread on how fantastic these bars are.   I am not sure if it was my choice of berries ( I used one cup of blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and rhubarb)  that gave a sweet and tart flavour or maybe it was the crunchy crumble base but I love loved these!  Yes, it deserved two loves.

I was almost tempted to make them again just so I could take a proper photo, or really because I wanted to eat another batch.   I, however did not.    Spread the word on these bars people, they are summer berry crunchy heaven.

MEG's RATING : D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!

rhubarb, strawberry, blueberries, blackberry, crumb, bar, best fruit, oats












3 comments:

  1. That was nice of your friend Kelly to give you the rhubarb. Your fruit crumble bars look great

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am anxious to serve these to my sister-in-law at lunch tomorrow. I used long blackberries growing in my side yard instead of the mixture you have in the recipe. Here's hoping they will be as delicious as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tinjo: Keep me posted on how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...