Image Map

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Brown Butter Malt Blondies


Other than baking cookies for my breast cancer cookie sale my baking for the month has been limited and I have been slacking.  Sometimes there is just not enough time in the day.    Time has finally come back to me and I can go back to the baking wish list.  I have wanted to bake with malt powder for quite some time now.   I was never quite sure how it would change or enhance the flavour.   I love malted milk balls (whoppers/maltezers).  Crunchy, airy and creamy milk chocolate. Drool. I figured I couldn't go wrong.  I also love blondies,  People say blondies are white brownies, but I think blondies are chocolate chip cookies in bar form. They really don't taste that different if you think about it.  What is just a good as a thick and chewy chocolate chunk cookie?  A thick and chewy malt ball blondie!

Brown Butter Malt Blondies


INGREDIENTS:

  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 2 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp malt powder
  • 1/2 corn syrup
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cup chopped/crushed malt balls

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Melt butter in a medium saute pan, adding walnuts, while butter is browning.  Nuts will toast as butter browns.   Mixture is done when the butter is getting browned, about 15 minutes. 


2) Strain the walnuts from the butter and chill the butter until firm but slightly soft.   Set walnuts aside
3)  When butter is ready preheat oven to 350F.  Spray with non stick spray and line with parchment a 9x13 pan. 
4) In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and malt powder. Whisk together. 


5)  In a large bowl/mixer bowl beat the butter and brown sugar together until light and creamy.  Add corn syrup and mix until just incorporated.   Beat in eggs and vanilla until just combined. 


6) Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix on low until half combined.  Then add malt balls and walnuts and mix on low until flour just combined. 


7) Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake 30 minutes, until top is just golden and toothpick comes out clean.   Let cool in pan. Slice into squares. 


These blondies were so wonderfully nutty, soft and chewy with some malt ball crunch.  These were my treat for a very busy October and they were well worth it.  This might be the fastest I have ever turned around a recipe.   I feel a blondie crush coming on.  I will resist blog blondie overload, but next time you are craving some brownies try some blondies instead. 

MEG's RATING: D-EEEEE-LICIOUS. 

malt, blondies, whoppers, maltezers, chocolate, brownies











3 comments:

  1. Yum! I love brown butter ANYTHING :) Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! These look so good! I love malt Balls! I haven't had them in a long time, what a great way to incorporate them into cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you on whoppers. What is not to love! Adding malt powder to these sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...