Image Map

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Apple Cinnamon Filling


My pumpkin obsession continues.  It is really hard though to not be pumpkin obsessed at this time of year.   It was also Canadian Thanksgiving last weekend and I need a nice fall dessert.   At every major family gathering on my Dad's side I make the desserts.  The tricky thing is, it is such a diverse group of likes and dislikes.  Can you believe one person doesn't like chocolate and peanut butter together.  Shocking , I know.   I recently picked up both "Baked" Cookbooks, (This post has links to the cookbooks).  The interesting thing is one book has a pumpkin whoopie pie recipe and the other has a chocolate whoopie recipe.   I decided to make both and hopefully please all palates, (especially mine).


Makes 6
(Adapted from Baked Explorations)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
Filling
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 8 oz apple cinnamon cream cheese, softened
  • 2 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon

INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Preheat the oven to 350F.   Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger in a medium bowl. 
2) In a large bowl, add the oil and sugar and whisk together until sugar is completely moistened.  Add the pumpkin and whisk to incorporate fully.


  Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk until combined


3) Fold in the flour mixture into the wet mixture. 
4) Line a baking sheet with silpat or parchment.  Using a small scoop - I used 1/4 cup scoop, drop the dough on to the prepared sheet, an inch apart is enough these didn't spread to much.


5) Bake for 12-14 minutes, until the whoopie pies start to slightly crack and a toothpick comes out clean. 
Remove from the oven and let cool on pan.
6) Make the filling : Beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth and creamy.  Add the confectioners sugar, cinnamon and vanilla and beat, starting on low to avoid icing spill over, then medium-high speed until smooth.  You want the filling to be fairly stiff so it can hold the whoopie pie.  Chill the filling for an hour if needed. 
7) To assemble the whoopie pies, flip over one whoopie pie,  using a mini scoop, spoon or piping bag add some filling on to the whoopie pie and place another on top.  Squeezing together gently. Repeat with all. Store in the refrigerator to firm up before serving.

I made a few tweaks to the original recipe on this one.  I am not a huge fan of cloves so I pulled that out.  I was also low on ginger so didn't use as much as it called for.    My favorite adjustment would be the use of the apple cinnamon cream cheese instead of regular.   I am not sure if everyone can find this where you live but it is wonderful.  The smooth creamy texture of cream cheese with a hint of apples and cinnamon,. Dreamy. It opens up the door wide on baking possibilities.
I also love my new mini cake stand.   I bought one in purple too.   I seem to be starting a small collection of cake stands.  I know own 6.  Ssshh, don't tell my husband.

MEG's RATING: D-EEEE-LICIOUS!  (Filling was my favorite)

pumpkin, cream cheese, apple, cinnamon, whoppie pies




3 comments:

  1. One question: do you use canned pumpkin? I used to puree my own pumpkin, but I could never find enough recipes to use in, so I made about half dozen Pumpkin Bread loafs.

    Oops! One more question: Can you freeze the Whoopies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I used canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin not pie filling) You could actually freeze your pureed pumpkin.
    You can freeze the whoopie pies pre-icing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pгetty nice poѕt. I just stumbled upοn youг
    blog and wished to say that І have truly enjοyed
    ѕurfing around your blog ροsts.

    After all IÌll be subscгibing to your rѕs feed and I hope you write again soon!


    Αlso visit my ωeb page - water softeners
    Look at my web-site :: softwater

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...