Image Map

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Turkey/Chicken Pot Pie




I don't post a lot of savory recipes but this recipe I really liked and I was organized enough to photograph it.   It also helped it made enough to feed my husband and I for two+ meals so I had extras to photograph.    This year I might try and put on a few more savory recipes,  being at home with my little one I want to try some new recipes and plan more.  My husband recently changed our cabinets in our mudroom where I store 80% of my cookbooks.  To do this I had to take all my cookbooks out, so before I put them back in I am going to go through and make a list of recipes I have to make this year.  I will keep you posted on my Top 20 savory and sweet dishes I must make in 2013.





Turkey or Chicken Pot Pie

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1/2 cup small chopped carrot
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 3 tbsps olive oil
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1/3 cup frozen corn
  • 1/3 cup frozen edamame
  • 1 medium sweet potato
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups cooked shredded turkey (or chicken)
  • Pilsbury Bisquits

INSTRUCTIONS:
1) In a 5qt heavy bottom pot ( I used my Le Creuset), heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat.   Add onion and carrot cooking, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes until onions become translucent and carrots soften. 
2) Add garlic and thyme and cook a few more minutes
3) Add the remaining olive oil and flour, cook a few minutes stirring together to create a roux.  Increase heat to medium-high and add milk and stock. Stirring constantly until mixture begins to thicken.
4) Cook sweet potato in the microwave for 4 minutes to partial cook it. Chop it up into 1 inch cubes. You can remove skin if you like, it should peel off easily.
5) Add frozen vegetables, sweet potato and turkey.  Stir to combine.
6) Preheat the oven to 375. Open the bisquits and cover the mixture with the bisquit dough.
7) Bake for 20 minutes until bisquits are golden on top.

I might have to make this more often.  I really enjoyed this and fairly healthy chocked full of lean meat and vegetables (minus the bisquit topping).





6 comments:

  1. The sweet potato and edamame are interesting additions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks amazing Meg! Happy New Year my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favourite comfort foods, and yours looks so good - what a great way to eat veggies! I love going through my cookbooks and writing "to make" lists, I find meal planning with one new dish per week is both manageable and really rewarding as you check them off. I just need to make sure there are extras to photograph too since at this time of year we always eat in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping over from Anna at Hidden Ponies to say hello and I really LOVE your blog. I mostly bake sweets but who can resist savory baking especially in the colder months! This pot pie looks soul satisfying! Can't wait to visit again and I'll look forward to seeing your savory offerings, too! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love love love pot pie and i was just telling my boyfriend the other day how much i've been craving it. It's such a comforting meal to enjoy in this cold weather. It's been so gloomy and frigid outside and this is all I want to come home to for dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy comfort food! It looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...