Image Map

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Coconut Cream Mini Pies with a Lemon Oreo Crust + a Reveal!




I mentioned last week one of my favorite things about finding about the sex of the baby is to make reveal desserts to tell people.   It is a lot more fun to have people bite into something and find out rather than just telling them.  It also drives them nuts that you make them wait until they see you to get a dessert.  My goal every time is to try and come up with different ways to tell people though instead of the traditional cake or cupcake.  My mind begins to spin on what sort of treat can I sneak a pink or blue center into.

I had a few ideas in my head which you will see in the next post or two but this one was my last minute idea that popped into my head thanks to Pi Day.  If you saw my last post - White Chocolate Peanut Butter Pies - I was part of a group of bloggers who got together to celebrate Pi day.  One of the pies in the collection was a Coconut Cream Pie from Rachel @ I love my disorganized life.   This gave me an idea, why not sneak in something pink or blue at the bottom of a little tart and then top it with the coconut filling.   Perfect.

I couldn't use Rachel's recipe exactly because the eggs are not cooked and knowing I would like to eat it myself I wanted to make sure they were heated so I used a slightly different method.  I also was dying to use up some lemon oreos sitting in my cupboard and lemon and coconut is such a great combination I had to try mixing them in somehow.

Coconut Cream Mini Pies with a Lemon Oreo Crust


INGREDIENTS:

  • 10-12 Lemon oreos
  • 3/4 sleeve of graham crackers
  • 2 tbsp corn syrup
  • 2/3 cup butter
Filling
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut
  • 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 tbsp cornstarch
  • 3 tbsp all purpose flour
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cup 2% milk
  • Pink and Blue sprinkles (more of what you need to reveal)
INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. 
2.In a small sauce pan , melt together the butter and corn syrup on med-low.  Set aside. 
2. In a food processor, blend lemon oreos and graham crackers until processed and fine with no chunks remaining.
3.  Mix together wet and dry mixture until crumbs are all moistened.  Divide evenly between 12 muffin cups, lightly greased or using silicone molds.  Press to shape into cups.   Bake for 8-10 minutes, remove from oven and press down any puffing with the back of a spoon.
4.  While the cups are baking,  put the coconut into a small bowl and cover with the boiling water.  Let stand. 
5. In another bowl combine sugar, cornstarch, flour, salt and egg yolks, whisk together. 
6. In a medium sauce pan heat milk just to a boil.  Remove from heat and slowly whisk in some of the milk to the egg mixture, whisking constantly as you pour.   Slowly whisk in about half to two thirds of the milk. 
Pour the combined mixture back into the sauce pan with the remaining milk and return to medium heat,  whisking constantly until mixture begins to thicken.  Remove from heat and continue to whisk out any lumps. 
7.  Stir in coconut, cover with saran wrap and let cool in the refrigerator.  
8.  Remove the shells from the pan or silicone molds.  Place a teaspoon of pink or blue sprinkles in the center of the pie shell, cover with a large scoop of the coconut filling.  Top with a few more mixed sprinkles, store in the refrigerator until ready to eat. 


P.S.   IT'S A GIRL!!  My husband is feeling quite out numbered now with a 3:1 ratio but he will survive, as long as he knows who's boss.  hehe











No comments:

Post a Comment

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...