Image Map

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How to make the BEST pizza dough..

I received a wonderful gift from my yoga instructor, 1 lb of turkish yeast from the market.  She told me her and her family has been using it for years.  After opening the packet I could already tell it was different than the little packets you see in the store.  Just opening the package I got the beautiful blooming yeast smell and the yeast was light and feathery.  I was so excited.   I wish I could just stay home and bake breads, rolls and so many other amazing yeasted goodies.   First on my list was pizza dough.  I brought up the yeast to the cottage so we could make grilled pizzas.   This would be a great idea. 


Multigrain Pizza Dough
(Adapted from Cooks Illustrated)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 3/4 cups water divided, 1/2 cup warm, remaining at room temperature
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons instant active yeast 
  • 1 tablespoons olive oil , plus extra for brushing dough and bowl
  • 1 cup Multi-grain bread flour
  • 1 cup high gluten flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • Semolina for dusting 





INSTRUCTIONS

1. Measure 1/4 cup of warm water into a 2-cup measuring cup. Sprinkle in yeast; let stand until yeast dissolves and swells, about 5 minutes. Add remaining 1/4 cup warm water plus remaining 1 1/4 cups room temp water and olive oil.
2) Combine flour and salt in workbowl.  Make a well in the center.  Add liquid ingredients into the well of the flour (holding back a tablespoon or so).  Slowly bring in the center and bring the dough together roughly.


3). Turn dough onto lightly floured work surface; knead by hand with a few strokes to form a smooth, round ball. Put dough into medium-large, oiled bowl, and cover with damp cloth. Let rise until doubled in size, about 2 hours.


4). Heat the BBQ to 400F and brush oil on the grill.  Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface.  I cut the dough into two to form two pizzas.  Form each piece into ball and cover with damp cloth. Working with one piece of dough at a time, gently roll out, occasionally picking up and spreading with your knuckles and hands.
One little one for me, one big one for my hubby.
5) Once it is at your desired shape, transfer dough to a sheet that has been lightly coated with semolina while preparing the other one.  Repeat step 4 for remaining dough.  Brush each crust lightly with some olive oil.
6) Place the dough directly on the grill.  Once dough begins to firm up, about 5-8 minutes.  Start to your desired ingredients.    Cover lid and continue to cook until cheese has melted.




Give me some MORE!  This was the best homemade crust I have ever had.  I have put pizza on the grill before but this one just turned out so well.  The dough was quick, easy and doubled perfectly.  It grilled up so well, developing a nice crunch with an airy texture and a beautiful fresh flavour..   The dough just pulled the whole pizza together.   For the sauce we actually used the sauce I made on my very first post -  Homemade Tomato Sauce, which just made it even better.  Hmm..that reminds me,  I need to make some more sauce.

MEG's RATING : D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!!

pizza, best dough, grilled



2 comments:

  1. Your pizza looks amazing, I'll have to try out that fabulous dough soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog and your pictures and recipes. I would love
    to invite you to register with foodepix.com and upload your pictures.

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...