Image Map

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Rocky Road Ice Cream




I haven't posted a new ice cream in the last few weeks and although the summer is slowly slipping away there is no reason we can't have ice cream in the fall and winter.   I am one of those people that actually stills goes to ice cream places when there is snow on the ground.  Sometimes you just have those cravings and fortunately or unfortunately my husband is just as bad as me.    With all the ice creams I have made so far I haven't attempted a chocolate one.   I have done some peanut butter ice creams with some hints of chocolate but not a true chocolate. There is a reason for this, I don't actually like chocolate ice cream.   Sound weird?   In my opinion chocolate ice cream doesn't really taste like chocolate, at least all the store bought version I have ever tried.   It's different and in the end not the chocolate I want.   I, however don't want to be selfish in my ice cream making.  Ice cream is meant to be enjoyed by many,  so I am making a chocolate ice cream.  Not just a chocolate ice cream I am making Rocky Road ice cream,  or at least my spin on it.   How could I get marshmallows into ice cream without using the fluff which I am too lazy to go buy at the store.    I also decided to change up my ice cream recipe and use one that includes glucose.  The glucose prevents the ice cream from becoming crystallized and keeps it smooth and creamy.  You could also use corn syrup.

Rocky Road Ice Cream

(Adapted from Baking & Pastry from the CIA)

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 2 tbsp glucose
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 150 grams granulated sugar
  • 4 oz dark chocolate, chopped
  • 1 cups chopped marshmallows
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 cup chocolate almond bark




INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Melt completely dark chocolate over a double boiler.  
2) While the chocolate is melting,  in a medium sauce pan combine milk, cream, half the sugar, glucose, salt and vanilla. .  Bring this mixture to just boiling over medium-high heat.  Remove from heat and cover to steep for 5 minutes.  Put melted chocolate aside.


3) Whisk together eggs yolks and remaining sugar in a medium bowl.   Slowly stir in 1 cup of the milk/cream mixture and whisk constantly to combine and temper the eggs.  Add another cup and repeat.  Add this mixture back the sauce pan
4) Cook this combined mixture until it thickens and coats the back of spoon, 180F.  Do not boil as eggs will curdle. 
5) Take out 1/4 of the mixture to reserve for the vanilla swirl.  Stir in the melted chocolate until smooth and fully combined. Strain both mixtures through a strainer.  Cover and refrigerate separately and allow to cool in the refrigerator for 12 hours or over night. 
6) When you are ready to add the ice cream to your mixer, heat butter in a medium sauce/fry pan.    Add the marshmallows and allow them to soften and lose their shape about 5 minutes.   Remove from heat and let cool. 


7) Add the vanilla ice cream to your machine and churn for 15 minutes, remove and store in the freezer until chocolate is ready.
8) Add the chocolate ice cream to the machine, follow instructions in the last 10 minutes add the marshmallow and chopped almond bark. 


9)  Once chocolate is complete, remove from machine and swirl in the reserved vanilla by hand. Place into a freezer safe container, place in the freezer for several hours or overnight to firm up.


So the marshmallows came out crunchy, which techincally makes sense.   You put soft marshmallows into a freezing container they will get cold.   I rather enjoyed this however they were crunchy and sweet. It was cool.   I mean when do ever have crunchy marshmallows.  I know I said I don't like chocolate ice cream but this was pretty good.  This ice cream by far had the best texture of all ice creams I have made to date.   This ice cream didn't go as rock solid as others.   It had an easy scooping texture right out of the freezer.   It was silky and smooth from day 1 to day 5.   The chocolate flavour actually tasted like chocolate and not some synthetic wanna be.   That is probably why I enjoyed it,  it tasted like chocolate.  How refreshing.

MEG's RATING : D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!

ice cream, chocolate, vanilla, marshmallow, almond

1 comment:

  1. I love McCalls! I have a list of things I need to get from there for the next little trip I take to Mississauga. But anyway, yes, I am totally with you. I love ice cream no matter what time of year it is. Actually sometimes, I don't like it when it's too hot. That's when I crave iced tea or sangria.

    And as for chocolate ice cream, I'm with you! I don't often go for chocolate ice cream, unless of course it's swiss chocolate or chocolate gelato. For the same reason in that it doesn't taste the same kind of chocolate that I like. The deep, smooth, chocolaty flavour that is never quite achieved by all ice cream makers.

    Your ice cream looks delicious! And I can't have marshmallows because I'm vegetarian, but the crunchy bits do sound divine. Lovely post =)

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...