Image Map

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Cranberry Apple Crumble Squares


I don't bake too often with cranberries.  At least not too often with fresh cranberries, dried I have used many times.    I don't usually notice them in the grocery store when I am walking through.   The other day though they caught my eye and I bought them.   I didn't really know what I would do with them when I got home, I had not thoought that far in the process.  I just knew I wanted them.    So to be honest they did sit in my fridge for over a week.  Every time I opened the drawer they secretly whispered "bake with me."

In my efforts to get all my food magazines re-organized I started to go through them, trying to figure out why I saved them and tearing out the recipes I wanted to keep.   In this process I came across the above mentioned Cranberry Apple Crumble Squares.  The picture of these squares was so just bright and colourful.  This recipe will be my first attempt with fresh cranberries.   Tuesday night I was all set to bake and realized the recipe called for leftover whole cranberry sauce. I didn't have that so I improvised and made my own version.

(Adapted from Food and Drink)
INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 large apple
  • 1 cup fresh cranberries
  • 1/2 lemon - juiced
  • 2 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose
  • 3/4 cup quick oats
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup butter
Sauce
  • 1 cup fresh cranberries
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp water
  • 1/2 tbsp cornstarch


INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Make the sauce : Combine 1 cup fresh cranberries, granulated sugar, 1/4 cup of water in a small saucepan.  Heat on medium until cranberries begin to pop and become more liquid.  In a tiny bowl whisk together cornstarch and water and add to the cranberry mixture.   Whisk together and stir until mixture begins to thicken.  Reduce heat to low and cook a few more minutes.  Remove from heat and set aside.


2) Spray with non stick spray or grease a 8 inch square pan.  Preheat oven to 350F
3) Peel, core and slice the apple.  Combine with cranberries, sauce, granulated sugar and lemon in a medium bowl.  Toss together.


4) Combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, mix together.  Blend in the butter with your fingers until crumbly. Mixture will appear darker.


5)  Press half the mixture into the bottom of the pan.  Cover the base with apple/cranberry mixture.


6) Add the remaining crumble over the top of the fruit, pressing down gently. It will not cover the fruit completely.


7) Bake until top is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting.  Store in the refrigerator.

My first fresh cranberry attempt was a success.   I was really happy with the sauce as well.  It was tart and sweet, just like the bars.   I am definitely going to experiment with making sauce again for the holidays.  

I still have a cup of cranberries left though.   What do I bake with them? Any suggestions?

MEG's RATING : D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!

cranberry, apple, crumble, oatmeal, bars, squares







2 comments:

  1. Delicious …Perfectly made one..I will surely try it soon..Thanks for the recipe dear..

    My Blog:
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm, I'll be making these soon. I love cranberries. Thanks for the recipe. Teresa

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...