Image Map

Friday, December 9, 2011

M&M Krispie Cookies - 12 Days of Cookies - Day 4


I am already behind on my 12 days of cookies as I have spent the week planning, cleaning, prepping and baking for the weekend.  This Saturday is my Christmas party and it is actually my favorite day of the year.   It is my chance to cook up a storm, entertain, have fun and spend time with my friends. I go all out! I have a pretty aggressive menu but I think I have it all organized now.  Shopping is done, I am ready to go.  Oddly enough it took me forever to decide on desserts.  I think I have finally narrowed done my list to 3 plus the Christmas tree and Santa Hat cake pops (Thanks to Bakarella).   Lots of delicious desserts to come be blogged about.  For the last few years we have also had a theme.  This year's theme is Retro, our guests have to dress up in 60's, 70's or 80's clothes.  My hubby and I are going 70's. Should be quite funny. I can't wait for this group shot.

Back to my 12 days of cookies....

A good chocolate chip cookie always has to be a staple at for me at Christmas. The cookie also must have red and green M&M's.   I cannot go a holiday season without these.   I know there is a big battle between Cooks Illustrated and the NY times recipe for the best chocolate chip cookie but I am going to try show you another one.  I have made this before, from Anna Olson and I was super happy with it.   The secret ingredient in this one is cornstarch, that helps to keep these cookies soft and chewy.

Enjoy Day 4.


(Adapted from Anna Olson)
INGREDIENTS:
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all purpose flour or gluten free all purpose ( I have made batches with both)
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
  • 1 tbsp malt powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 6 ounces plain or dark M&M's
  • 3/4 cup rice krispie cereal
INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Preheat oven to 350 F.  In a large bowl or mixer bowl, cream together butter and sugars until smooth. Add egg and vanilla and blend to combine.


2) In a medium bowl combine, flour, cornstarch, baking soda, malt powder and salt. Add to wet mixture and mix until almost combine. Add in rice krispie cereal and M&M, beating on low just to combine in.
3) Using a small scoop, drop rounds onto a  parchment/silpat lined baking sheet and bake for  about 10 minutes, until golden brown around the edges.


So easy and yet so good.  These cookies can definitely give Cooks Illustrated and the NY times a run for their money.  The krispies and the M&M's just add a nice crunch but the cookie is still soft.  I love it.  You don't have to use the malt powder I just like experimenting with it.

MEG's RATING : D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!



Day 3 - Chocolate Mint Sandwich Cookies


2 comments:

  1. Great idea to use red and green m&ms! Have a wonderful time at your party Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a recipe yesterday that also called for cornstarch, I wonder if it is this same one? Anyway, these sound delicious and I love M&M's in cookies. Your pictures are making me really want a cookie.

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...