Image Map

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Apple Cakes with Toffee & Dried Cherries


I am a fan of positive background noise.  When I work in the kitchen, I can't have silence and the sound of my mixer doesn't cut it.   I just need to have some noise going on in the background and it has to be noise I enjoy.  This would be either the food network, music or a good TV show.  My latest noise is Arrested Development. I never watched the show when it was actually airing but I decided to go back and check it out. Season 1 started off slow but I kept on going.  Season 2 is much better. Some characters are still annoying, but getting a lot funnier.   How can you also not love Jason Bateman.   Any one else have any background noise preference?

My latest recipe is a revival of one of the first posts I ever did.  It's funny how you can totally forget some of the delicious treats you have baked in the past.   Luckily my friend Tracey happens to remember and make some of these recipes for her family.  I remember this recipe being a pretty great and figured why not make it again.  I also decided to make a few tweaks and turn them into little cakes,  everyone loves an individual dessert.

Individual Apple Cakes
(Adapted from Cooking light)


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup sugar + 2 tbsp 
  • 3/4 cup  (6 ounces) light cream cheese, softened 
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3 cups chopped,  peeled apples 
  • 1/2 cup skor bits
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped.  


INSTRUCTIONS:
1)) Preheat oven to 350F. Mix together 2 tbsp of the granulated sugar with 1 tsp cinnamon and sprinkle over the apples and mix together.  
2)  In a large bowl or your mixer bowl, beat together the remaining sugar, cream cheese, butter and vanilla on medium speed until well blended.  Add eggs one at a time and set aside. 
3)  In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture on low speed.
4) Stir in apples, dried cherries and skor bits into the batter until just mixed.
5) Spray mini cheesecake pans with non stick spray. Pour 1/4 cup batter into each hole.   Bake for 20-25 minutes until at toothpick comes out clean.

Still as good as I remember.

MEG's RATING : D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!








2 comments:

  1. My background noise is my little girl singing and humming nursery rhymes while preparing her sprinkles, mixing a small portiion of dough, playing with a mini rolling pin, etc, etc...i know you get to picture it out. This will be another fun filled adventure in the kitchen. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look lovely. I like a bit of Coldplay playing in the background!

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...