Image Map

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Irish Coffee Caramel Ice Cream


Anyone still recovering from daylight savings? I am not quite recovered, but probably my fault  for going to a movie last night and then staying up to watch my PVR'd "The Voice"  I then sadly had to wake myself up just after  6 to get ready for work.   YAWN!   I did see "Friends with Kids" last night and it was actually quite cute and funny.

Despite my loss of sleep I am quite happy about the additional daylight.  We got fairly lucky this year in terms of a winter in Southern Ontario.   We had very few major storms and temperatures were never really that bad for that long.   There is still something to be said for more hours of daylight though.  Moderately cold darkness is still no fun.   I mean we all need a little more Vitamin D in our lives.   I can also use the additional day light for photography.   Those few extra hours of daylight after work make such a difference.  I know longer need to try a fiddle around with my clamp lights or save all my baking for the weekend.   I have flexibility again and that I like.

This wonderful yet scary surge of warm weather is already kicking in my cravings for ice cream.  Uh-oh!  At least with the extra daylight I can go for longer jogs.  Win, Win.  

Irish Coffee Caramel Ice Cream 


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 1/4 cups skim milk
  • 1 heaping tbsp glucose
  • 4 tbsp xylitol or granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup Irish cream
  • 1 tsp espresso powder
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 heaping tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup dulche de leche
  • 2-3 tbsp chocolate shavings. 


INSTRUCTIONS:

1) In a medium-large sauce pan, heat on medium milk, heavy cream, espresso powder, Irish cream, glucose and 2 tbsp xylitol.  Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together yolks, cornstarch and remaining xylitol/sugar.
3) Slowly, while whisking pour in half of the milk/cream mixture to temper the eggs.  
4) Add the egg-milk mixture back into the sauce pan with remaining liquid.
5) Turn heat back up to medium, whisking constantly until liquid begins to thicken.  Do not let the mixture boil or the eggs will curdle.
6) Once thickened remove from heat and run through a sieve into the medium bowl.
7) Cover the liquid directly with saran wrap and place the medium bowl into a large bowl with ice water.  Refrigerate until cold.
8) Run through your ice cream maker/attachment as per instruction.   I have the kitchen aid mixer attachment and ran for 20-25 minutes, adding chocolate shavings in the last few minutes.  The ice cream will be off the walls of the canister.


9) Place into a freezer safe container and swirl in dulche de leche.  May I also recommend some toffee bits.


If you like Irish Coffees you will love this.  Creamy, sweet and smooth. Mmmm.caramel.  Sometimes I find with homemade ice cream it has the tendency to freeze very hard.    This ice cream even after a few days was easily scooped.

MEG's RATING : D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!











1 comment:

  1. Wow! Wow! Wow! This ice cream looks incredible! Lovely photos too! :)

    So excited for spring. We've been getting above normal temps in Winnipeg. Such a nice treat! It's funny how a little sun and a little warmth can put everyone in the best of moods! :)

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...