Image Map

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler


Just spent a great long weekend in Ottawa visiting some friends.  They have a three year old, so we all went to the fair Sunday morning.   This was her first time at a fair and she had a lot of fun.  She did have the look of terror a few times but she warmed up pretty quickly.  I didn't go on any rides but my hubby and one of your friends managed to get their own session of bumper cars.  Not sure how much fun it is with two people but they managed to get a few good hits in.   I just stood in the shade taking pictures.   After that we hit up a Mexican place on the patio, enjoy the weather and the beautiful scenery.  Ottawa is such a beautiful place if you ever get a chance to visit.  If you live there you are lucky.  I think it might be one of the cleanest cities I have ever been to.  It is a big city with out a big city feel, lots of great neighborhoods.   Once upon a time I tried to convince my hubby to  move there but he wisely talked me out of it to stay close to family and friends.  I sure do like to visit now and then though.

I continue my love for fresh fruit baking, by capitalizing on some rhubarb I got from my good friend Kelly.  She has a nice big bush in her backyard and is always kind enough to give me some stalks each May.   I took half chopped it up and put it in the freezer for a creation that will go to Kelly.   The other half went to this wonderful dessert.

Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler



INGREDIENTS:

Fruit part
  • 1lb strawberries, washed, stemmed and chopped
  • 2 cups chopped fresh/frozen rhubarb
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup corn starch
  • 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tbsp agave



Cobbler topping (adapted from Anna Olson)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 tbsp melted and cooled butter
  • 1/3 cup milk (I used 2%)
  • 1 cup all purpose flour or gluten free all purpose
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon sugar for sprinkling.






INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Preheat the oven to 375F.
2) Combine the fruit, brown sugar, corn starch, vinegar and agave in a medium bowl.  Toss together and place in a 8 inch square baking dish. 



2) In a large bowl, combine egg, melted butter, sugar and whisk together.  Whisk in milk.  Stir in the flour, salt and baking powder and until combined.  Mixture will be wet.
3) In clumps, allowing for some spreading drop the cobbler topping on to the fruit mixture.  Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
4) Bake for about 45 minutes.  Until the cobbler top is brown and set. Fruit will be bubbling.


Serve warm with some vanilla ice cream.  Yummy.  I am more a fan of crisps and crumbles than cobblers I have no discovered.  I think I just need more of a crunch than what a cobbler provides.  I did really enjoy the filling, a great combination of sweet and tart. 

MEG's RATING: D-EEEE-LICIOUS!












2 comments:

  1. holy crap (pardon my language) that looks GOOD!


    x
    Angie
    sundaybelle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightfully Delicious - I imagine.

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...