Image Map

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream (Eggless)




Last summer I made a lot of ice cream.  A LOT!   Once I got the first taste of homemade ice cream I was hooked.   It seemed like I was making it every two weeks last summer.   Aside from all the fruit flavoured ones my husband was pretty spoiled.   I guess me too.    Now that the hot weather is coming back so is my urge for homemade ice cream.     There has been a small yet very happy and quite exciting wrench thrown into my ice cream plans this summer.   The books tell me I am supposed to avoid raw eggs if you are pregnant.

Oh that's right I haven't mentioned it yet.  Baby #1 is on it's way!!  It has been a long time coming, going through many twists and turns along the way.   I think I have given more vials of blood in the last two years than my age.  Life may not always work out the way you plan but it does have its way of working it self out sooner or later.  Hubby and I are getting more as the weeks go on.  Although as my belly grows I see more fear on his face, as he realizes there is actually a baby coming in 5 months.    I haven't taken any belly pics yet but maybe I will start and do some tracking.  I love the Cracker and Carrots set up, so I might steal that from her and start doing some recording.  There will be lots to plan, buy and learn in the next few months.  For now I will continue to adjust my diet for things I am not supposed to eat anymore.

I have been obsessed with cherries lately and just had to incorporate these in a dessert somehow.  There will be a few more cherries to come I suspect.


Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream (Eggless)
(loosely adapted from several recipes)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 cups pitted cherries
  • 8 ounces softened cream cheese
  • 1/3 cup + 3 tbsp agave
  • 1/3 cup skim milk
  • 3/4 cup 18% cream 
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs




INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Place cherries in a medium sauce pan with 3 tbsp agave and 1/2 cup water.   Bring to a boil for a 2 minutes, remove from heat and let sit to cool.

2) Place cream cheese, agave, milk, lemon juice and salt in a food processor and run until smooth.


3) Add in cooled cherries and pulse a few times.


4) Add in cream while continuing to pulse about 5 more times.  Cream will be just incorporated.
5) Place in a bowl and refrigerate to chill for a few hours or overnight, the mixture should even thicken a bit in the fridge.
6) Run through your ice cream maker for 20-25 minutes.  The ice cream will come off the sides.  Freeze for a few hours to set up more.    Sprinkle with graham crackers when serving.

Oh MY! This ice cream really does have a cheesecake feel and flavour to it.  The graham cracker crumbs give it that additional cheesecake kick.   This ice cream does get quite hard overnight so let sit 10-15 minutes and it softens to a great creamy consistency.

MEG's RATING : D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!




Baby got hungry when I was making photos......so I took a few bites.







11 comments:

  1. Really looks delicious!!! i want some now:-)))))
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing, and congratulations on your exciting news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On Fridays, I share my favorite food finds in a series called Food Fetish Friday - and I love this post so I'm featuring it as part of the roundup (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and I look forward to seeing what you create next...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! Can't wait to try it out. My hubby has an egg sensitivity so he will be thrilled--fresh homemade ice cream without eggs. :)
    Congratulations on the baby. It's a great and exciting time of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks So good! and congrats on the baby:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds so delicious, I love cherries!!
    Hope you already submitted it for the food fight :) if not come by and submit it http://willcookforsmiles.com/2013/05/food-fight-party-submit-your-ice-cream-and-fruit-pops.html !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, cream cheese & skim milk? Cool!!!
    ~Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later!
    http://dessertnowdinnerlater.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks amazing- I will definitely try this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks amazing! We have a cherry tree and I just made some very similar ice cream last week - delicious!

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...