Image Map

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A busy baking weekend part 1 - Apples Again!

So I signed myself up for quite a lot of baking last weekend.   On the list is a baptism cake, an apple cake for a pot luck dinner and some Halloween cake pops for work.   The first line of business was the baptism cake as that had to be completed for someone other than me.   It turned out quite nice in the end, simple and sweet.

After the cake was complete I started the apple cake. I found the recipe on cooking light and thought it sounded quite yummy.  Chunks of apples are baked in with the batter and everything just bakes together and puffs up golden brown.   I used Jonagold apples as they seem to be my new favorite apple, very close to Mutsu, big and a little sweet.

A Jonagold note care of Orange Pippin : The colouring is yellow of Golden Delicious, with large flushes of red. This is a crisp apple to bite into, with gleaming white flesh. The flavour is sweet but with a lot of balancing acidity - a very pleasant apple.


Recipe: Adapted from Cooking light.
  • 1 3/4  cups  sugar, divided
  • 3/4  cup  (6 ounces) block-style fat-free cream cheese, softened - I only used light cream cheese.
  • 1/2  cup  butter or stick margarine, softened
  • 1  teaspoon  vanilla extract
  • 2  large eggs
  • 1 1/2  cups  all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2  teaspoons  baking powder
  • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
  • 2  teaspoons  ground cinnamon
  • 3  cups  chopped peeled apples 
  • 1/2 cup skor bits  - added by me .  :-)
1)   Peel and Chop the apples. 
2) Mix together 1/4 cup of white sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle 2 tablespoons in the the apples and mix together.  Save the rest of the cinnamon sugar mixture for the top of the cake before baking.







3)  Beat together the remaining sugar, cream cheese, butter and vanilla on medium speed until well blended.  Add eggs one at a time and set aside. 
4)   Mix together the dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture on low speed.  Stir in apples and skor bits into the batter until just mixed.   Pour into a 8" spring form pan, sprinkle with the sugar mixture and bake @ 350.   The recipe said 1 hour 15 min or until it pulls away from the sides, I found it was all good by about 50 min but it may depend on your oven.


The smell in my house was so wonderful, the flavours of baked apples and cinnamon sugar. WOW!  It took a lot for me to not cut into it before the potluck but it survived.  Here's proof....Those aren't my plates. :-)





Meg's rating :  D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!!







1 comment:

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...