Image Map

Monday, April 18, 2011

Ode to the Mini egg or Eggies - Part 1

I think if you were to ask people what is there all time favorite chocolate bar or treat, Mini eggs or Eggies would be high up on the list.  I know they are in the top 3 for me, along with Twix and Skor. The next few posts I am going to focus on using mini eggs/eggies into different treats, as they will also be sadly hard to find post Easter.  Thankfully Cadbury decided to sell Mini Eggs all year round catering to my chocolate fix.   Today's blog incorporates my new favourite kitchen tool - the ice cream maker attachment.   After my first successful attempt two weeks ago of Coffee ice cream, I now have the need to try so many more flavours.  I tend to however prefer frozen yogurt over ice cream when given the option so I though I would try that instead this time around.   This recipe uses Greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt.  If you haven't tried Greek yogurt in general I highly recommend it, along with having an excellent amount of protein, Greek yogurt is creamy and tangy and a great compliment to fruit and oatmeal.  This recipe has few ingredients and is quick to put together, aside from the freezing time.








Vanilla Frozen Yogurt with Mini Eggs or Eggies


INGREDIENTS

  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp light corn syrup
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups plain 0% fat Greek-style yogurt
  • 1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
  • 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
  • 1 cup mini eggs, chopped




  • INSTRUCTIONS:

  • 1) Combine sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Transfer to a large bowl and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. 
  • 2) Whisk in yogurt, buttermilk, and vanilla and chill until cold about 3 hours.  


  • 3) Pour the mixture in your ice cream maker or attachment and follow maker instructions.   I used the kitchen aid attachment mixing on low for about 20-25 minutes, adding the mini eggs for the last 10 minutes.  Use a spatula to mix and scrape down the sides if needed. Transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to firm up.



This frozen yogurt is definitely tangy and quite different from frozen yogurt in the stores.  If you are a big fan of Greek yogurt you will enjoy this.  The sweetness of the mini eggs offset the tanginess of the yogurt and give some more texture and crunch.  Different from the coffee ice cream when this was frozen it was really frozen and scraping out became a bit difficult.    Take it out of the freezer about 15 minutes before you want to eat to allow it to soften so it can be scooped.


MEG's RATING : D-EEE-LICIOUS


Stay Tuned for Mini Eggs/Eggies - Part 2


















No comments:

Post a Comment

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...