Image Map

Sunday, May 15, 2011

My Version of Pralines and Cream Ice Cream

The list of ice creams for me to try  is growing as I type.  My husband is a huge fan of pralines and cream ice cream.  This is his summer staple and we always have to get some when we go to the cottage.  The other night we were supposed to go to a friends house for dinner so I figured I would show them my new obsession and bring ice cream and chocolate cake.  Dinner, however got cancelled but not after I already had the ice cream liquid cooling in the fridge. More for Brad I guess.  I decided to spin what seems to be a no fail recipe and try to make this recipe a little more figure friendly since I seem to be making ice cream a little too often now.   Maybe I should get myself another freezer?  I am going to run out of space,  who wants to take some home?

Pralines and Cream Ice Cream


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup skim milk
  • 2 cups half and half (10% cream)
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 tbsp agava nectar or honey
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2-3/4 can of sweetened condensed milk turned into dulche de leche  - see how here

INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Preheat the oven to 350F.  Combine the pecans, agava nectar and sugar in a small bowl.  Place the pecan  mixture on a silpat on a baking sheet.  Bake for 5-7 minutes until pecans are slightly fragrant.  Let cool.


2) Add egg yolk and vanilla paste in a medium bowl and whisk together.   Set aside
  

3) Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a sauce pan and whisk together.
4) Slowly stir in milk and half and half, heat over medium-high heat whisking constantly until milk begins to boil and the liquid begins to thicken.  Remove from heat.
5) Temper in the hot liquid into the yolk/vanilla mixture pouring about 1/2 cup or so in and whisking to combine and not scramble the eggs.   Pour in the remaining liquid and whisk to combine fully.


6) Cover the liquid with saran wrap, placing the saran directly on the liquid to prevent a film from forming.
Let the mixture cool in the fridge for several hours.
7) Place the mixture in your ice cream maker or frozen bowl attachment.   Follow the instructions as provided. Mine is 20-30 min of churning.   Add the pecans and dulche de leche mixture to the ice cream in the last stage.   This is the last 10 minutes for me.
8) Freeze for 3-4 hours, or overnight preferred.

This ice cream is better overnight after the flavours have had time to incorporate and meld together.  There is a reason pralines and cream ice cream is one of the number one selling flavours, it is simply divine.   This is Brad's favorite so far in my ice cream trials.  Enough typing, I am off to grab a spoon.

MEG's RATING: D-EEEEE-LICIOUS



ice cream, pecans, caramel, dulche de leche



7 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to be trying this, the finish looks so scrumptious with the whole bits of pralines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Meg, great post... i sent this to Alice...hoping she will give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm this looks soo delicious!! Great blog you have here, so glad to be your newest follower! :)
    http://www.cookskinny.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay...this looks AMAZING!!! Thank you for sharing...I'll definitely be giving this a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love your ice cream. Ice cream and pralines really a great combination. We really have the same taste, thumps up for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, sure delicious... But the food styling with the nuts as a back ground is complete GENIUS!!!

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...