Image Map

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Oatmeal Cherry Cookies


I mentioned a few weeks back I have recently gotten back into yoga, specifically hot yoga.    If you have never tried it, you must.  For one hour you can destress, detox, clear your mind, stretch and strength your muscles.  It's one hour for me to simply relax, breathe and focus.   I was talking with the owner, Jasna about my blog and love for baking and she mentioned she had some great recipes of her own.  I told her to bring them asap so I could test them out.  She brought me in two recipes so far, oatmeal cookies and banana bread.   First up the cookies,  with some minor minor tweaks. 
INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup cinnamon cream cheese
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp molasses
  • 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat
  • 2 cups of quick cooking oats
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
INSTRUCTIONS:


1) Preheat the oven to 350F.  Line one or two baking sheets with silpat or parchment.
2) Combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl


3) Add butter, cream cheese and sugar in a large or mixer bowl.  Cream together.   Add the eggs and vanilla,  mix to combine.


4) Add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix to just combine.  Fold dried cherries/cranberries until just incorporated


5) Using a mini ice cream scoop place the dough on to the parchment about 2 inches apart.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Allow cookies to cool on the pan for 10 minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool.  Dough can also be stored in a sealed container in the freezer for a month.

I am definitely a fan of the softer, chewier cookie, especially if it is chocolate chip style of cookie.  These cookies were just that. They were soft little oatmeal cinnamon pillows.   However when it comes to oatmeal cookies I think I am undecided on whether all soft is all better.  Do I need my oatmeal cookie to have a slight bite to it.   Hmmm.. I am undecided for now as these were quite wonderful.  Maybe I will just cook these a bit longer next time.  My co-workers also loved the soft cookie and they were no crumbs left unturned.    Thanks for the great recipe!

MEG's RATING: D-EEEE-LICIOUS


cookie, oatmeal, cherry




1 comment:

  1. GREAT POST as always, just a little better than expected. Love the flavored cream cheese!

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...