Image Map

Monday, June 27, 2011

Sometimes you feel like a nut....

A few months back I bought these almond joy pieces to one day bake them into some cookie or bar.  They were placed in the freezer until further notice.  Today is their day of notice.  When I was in Italy I had the most amazing gelato, "Bounty" flavour, chocolate and coconut.    It was heaven.  I will attempt to replicate this gelato soon enough,  but to get me through the waiting and wanting I will take my little almond joy pieces and place them into some oatmeal cookies, along with some additional sliced almonds and shredded coconut.

ALMOND JOY OATMEAL COOKIES

(Adapted from Cooks illustrated)

INGREDIENTS :
  • 2 cups all purpose flour (about 10 1/2 oz) 
  • 1 1/2 cups oats
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda 
  • 3/4 cup (6 oz) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
  • 1 cup (7 oz) brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (3 1/2 oz) white sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup almond joy pieces
  • 3/4 cup coconut
  • 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds



INSTRUCTIONS: 

1) Heat oven to 325F.  In a mini processor grind 1 cup of the oats.  Mix the dry ingredients together and set aside


  2) In a large bowl or your mixer bowl cream together sugars and butter until smooth. Mix in egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.


3)  Add almond joy pieces, almonds and coconut.


4) Using a mini ice cream/cookie scoop,  place them on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake the cookies, reversing the sheet half way through,  about 12 min or until edges become golden.


5) Cool cookies on cookie sheet and store in air tight container.


Cooks illustrated you do us right in so many ways.  Due to replacing some of the flour with ground oats (which I loved) and adding some oats they did come out a little different than their traditional chocolate chip cookie but these were still soft, chewy, colourful, nutty and wonderful.

Oh, I love cookies!

MEG's RATING: D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!

almonds, coconut, cookies, oatmeal, almond joy







No comments:

Post a Comment

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...