Image Map

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Free Form Apple Tarts


I promise this is the last apple recipe for a little while.  What can I say,  I had access to a lot of free apples so I took advantage of it.  I could bake even more with apples,  but I will stop.   Although I am very interested in making another apple loaf, but this one will be more savory.  I will save that recipe for a later date and put the apples away for a few weeks.

Today I am giving you a very easy sweet dough recipe.  This dough recipe is frankly never fail.   If you have difficulty making a pie dough come together, this is your fall back.  This dough is not put together in a traditional pie dough way.  The butter/shortening in this dough are soft and creamed with sugar like a cake or cookie instead of cut in cold.  It is not meant to be a overly flaky dough.   I know it may seem crazy but trust me this dough is delicious.   It holds together really well and you don't have to worry about breaking and cracking.

These tarts are really easy to put together and great as an individual dessert.  Top with a scoop of ice cream and you are set.

Apple Tarts – Makes 6 – 6 inch tarts

Dough (Yields enough for 12 tarts)
·         1 cup + 1 tbsp (250 grams) shortening, room temperature
·         1/4 cup (50 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
·         2/3 cup granulated sugar
·         1 teaspoon salt
·         1 teaspoon lemon extract
·         1 teaspoon vanilla extract
·         1 large egg
·         75 ml milk
·         1 2/3 cups pasty flour
·         1 2/3 cups all purpose flour

Apple Filling
·   4 Medium apples – cored, peeled and thinly sliced
·  1 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour
·  1/3 cup granulated sugar
·   Juice from half a lemon
· 3/ 4 teaspoon cinnamon



INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Make the dough: Combine the first 6 ingredients of the dough in a large bowl/mixer bowl. Beat together until incorporated and smooth. Add egg, beat to combine.



2) Add the flour, beat on low. While beating slowly add the milk. Beat until mixture is starting to come together.
3) Turn out dough onto a flour surface and bring together with your hands to make two round discs. Cover with saran wrap and chill for minimum 1 ½ hours.


4) Make the filling: Combine apples and lemon juice. Sift flour, sugar and spices over the apples and toss together. Set aside while rolling out the dough.

5) Line a baking sheet with parchment/silpat. Preheat oven to 375F. 

6) Remove one disc of dough from the fridge. Lightly flour your table/counter top. Roll out the dough to 1/4 thick. Cut out 6 inch circles. (I used a 6 inch pan and a pizza cutter, doesn’t have to be exact)

7) Place one circle on the baking sheet, layer the apples slices in the center of the circle. Leave about a 1 inch around the apples and fold up the extra dough over the apples.

8) Repeat with remaining discs and apple slices. 


9) Bake for 45-50 minutes. Dough with be golden brown. Remove from oven. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Desserts like this are just so warm and comforting.  I am going to take my tart and ice cream and cozy up to the fire.

Thank you to Believing Boldy for also posting these tarts on her site as part of her 30 days of desserts.   She has a lot of wonderful recipes from herself and other bloggers.  Take a look!

MEG's RATING : D-EEEE-LICIOUS!

1 comment:

  1. Individual fruit tarts always beat out a big pie in this house. I like the easy pastry crust in this recipe and the way it is prepared. The little tarts have a nice rustic look. Glad I stopped in to get the details on this special dessert. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...