Image Map

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Vegetarian Quinoa Chili



I don't have to many savory items on this blog so far.  Obviously I eat a lot of savory dishes,  I would call it more a lack of proper planning and sometimes lack of dinner creativity.  I am not always that organized to remember to take photos and write out recipes on most savory things I make.   I also don't do the cooking every night. I make the hubby fend for himself some nights. He might say I tend to have some irregular eating habits.  I just like what I like and some nights I don't feel like cooking.  I am fine with having yogurt and berries for dinner.  Is this weird?  I have no kids yet, I feel I am allowed to do this.

I did have one small dilemma with this chili.  Add peppers or exclude peppers?  I don't like peppers.   No peppers of any kind.  I exclude them when at all possible.  My husband does like them however, as I am sure most of you do.  The part of me that knows I was just going to pick them out wanted to keep them out.  The nice wife and proper chef in me decided to keep them in for flavour and colour.  Peppers were kept to a large dice so I could pull them out easily. A good compromise I think.

Makes about 6-8 servings
INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 - 19 oz can black beans
  • 1 - 19 oz can red kidney beans
  • 1 - 14 oz can brown beans
  • 1 - 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 medium Spanish onion
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 red and green pepper
  • 6 medium mushrooms
  • 1 cup quinoa 
  • 1/2 pack of chili powder
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/2 tomato can of water
  • Salt and pepper - 1/4-1/2 tsp each
Add ons for two
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup guacamole 

INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Chop the onion to a medium dice.  Heat a medium saute pan on medium heat, Add oil.  When oil is hot add onions.  Saute about 5 minutes, until onions are sweating and becoming translucent.


2) Peel and chop the garlic cloves to a small dice and add to onions.  Saute 2 minutes. 


3) Transfer the onions and garlic to your slower cooker.   
4) Rinse the black and red kidney beans with water to remove the canned liquid.  


5) Add the tomatoes, water and all beans to the pot.  Place crockpot on low and cover.


6) After 4 hours, chop the peppers to a large dice and slice mushrooms.  Add those to the crockpot.   If you have to leave the house you can add these when you add the beans.


7) At least a half an hour before you are ready to eat, rinse the quinoa in water for a few minutes.   Add the quinoa to the crockpot and stir to combine.   The quinoa will expand and thicken in the chili over the next half hour or so. 



8) Combine guacamole and sour cream in a small bowl.   Top chili with grated cheese and guacamole mixture.

Who needs meat in chili?  Not me. This recipe was very filling, hearty and healthy.  The beans and quinoa together also make this meal a complete protein. Feel free to add more peppers if you like,  I choose to put in the bare minimum.

You can expect a few more quinoa dishes coming from me in the next little bit.  I have found a few great recipes and I am anxious to try them.   Any quinoa recipes you love?

MEG's RATING : D-EEEE-LICIOUS

chili, quinoa, vegetarian, beans, peppers


  



9 comments:

  1. Love this! I'm always looking for new uses for Quinoa! Can't wait to try iy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delicious use of quinoa. Must taste wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmygosh this looks DELICIOUS!!! AND I was JUST trying to figure out what to make for dinner tonight....problem solved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have never thought to add quinoa to chili, but it sounds delicious! I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How long does it cook with green peppers?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It depends on how soft you like them. You are really just letting the flavours cook together. It could be as little as an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you add the quinoa at the same time you add all
    The other ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quinoa only needs 10 minutes to hydrate and cook, it could get to soft and soggy if added to early.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be making this tonight! I pinned it last week- my boyfriend and I have been thinking about it since then. It sounds awesome. I'll let you know what I think :)

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...