Image Map

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sugar Free Cookie Dough Chocolates

chocolate, dates, sugar free, cookie, dough, chickpeas, gluten-free

When your naturopath tells you to avoid gluten and sugar and you are a baker at heart - it is like a small stab in the heart. It might be even worse when your blog is centered around sugar.  I will not let this get in the way of my passion to bake.  This doesn't mean I have to stop baking with either, this means moderation. It means continuing to giveaway my baking to co-workers, family and friends and keeping my tasting levels low.  The upside is experimentation. Testing and potentially lots of failing with different flours, sugars and substitutions.

Who doesn't love to eat cookie dough?  It's sweet and creamy and well just plan fun to eat.  I saw a recipe for sugar free cookie dough on Chocolate Covered Katie and did a double take.  Sugar free cookie dough, with dates and chick peas, seriously?  Could this combination of ingredients really taste like cookie dough and be good?   I HAD to try this for myself,  with a few tweaks to remove the oats and make it gluten free.

Sugar Free Cookie Dough
(Adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie)

  • 1 1/4 cup pitted dates 
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 1/2 cups chickpeas (rinsed & drained)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup almond butter
  • 1/3 cup almond meal

Chocolate for Squares  (There is sugar in this)
  • 6 oz dark chocolate (72% or higher)   
  • 2 oz of red and pink chocolate
1) Soak dates in warm water for 6-8 hours.  This will soften and loosen the dates.



2) Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.


At this point you can eat this as is or as a dip.

If you would like to make chocolates follow this step:

3) Line a 8 or 9 inch sq. pan with parchment, going up all sides.   Spread the cookie dough into the pan using an offset spatula.   You may need to wet the spatula or use damp hands to help the spread the cookie dough into the pan.
4) Freeze the cookie dough until solid.  Cut into to squares and then keep in freezer until ready to use.
5) Melt dark chocolate in double boiler.  Remove a few squares from the freezer at a time, as they melt quick.   Place a skewer through the bottom of a square and dip into chocolate.    Using a fork gently remove from the skewer and slide on to tin foil.
6) Repeat with remaining squares and let cool completely.
7) Melt red and pink chocolate in ramekins or place in a piping bag and drizzle a little coloured chocolate over the squares.   You can skip this step if you would like to have less sugar.   Let dry completely.  Store in a sealed container.



When I had my first spoonful I was amazed.  I was in heaven.  I can't believe how close this tastes to cookie dough.  Not even close, I think it actually tastes better.   It is softer than a traditional cookie dough and more of a dip or paste.  It is not overly sweet, nutty and well balanced.   I will be figuring out ways to use this in other desserts.   I know there is more possibilities.   Thank you Katie - I think you have started a new addiction for me.

MEG's RATING : D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!!












13 comments:

  1. What a great way to make the best truffle ever! I love the sugar free recipe. And they are beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are beautiful, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so glad I clicked through from Tasteologie and found your blog! I am also gluten- and sugar-free (and feel great, by the way) so am always happy to meet another blogger following the same path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting recipe! They look lovely Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful recipe and the way it is presented!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! These are great to knock off my sweet tooth.

    Stephanie : I am not completely gluten and sugar free but I am trying. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am SO trying this! Found this through foodgawker. Thanks for sharing the recipe and great pictures... I'll be visiting again. Hope you will visit my blog sometime too ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious - however I do have to point out that dates are naturally high in sugar, so sugar-free is not quite the right label. Either way, I will be making these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, you are right. No sugar added. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! I love how you dressed this up with a chocolate coating and the red and pink drizzle over top! What a gorgeous, healthy treat :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just read through your recipe again because I am thinking of making these tomorrow. Why do you add baking soda when you are not actually baking it in the oven? Am I missing something here?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I slightly wondered the same thing when I saw the recipe. I assume it is used as an acid to prevent spoilage.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm... well, I have a batch of this sitting in my food processor right now and haven't add in the baking soda yet. I guess it really doesn't matter if I do or not, huh? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...