Image Map

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Chocolate Oatmeal Cherry Scones



Today's post is for the Lady the behind the Curtain Challenge.   This month's challenge was bake something with Chocolate and Cherries.  That worked out well for me I have been wanting to make Chocolate Cherry Scones for quite some time now.   Who doesn't love Chocolate for breakfast especially Today also being Valentines day. I also tried my best to make them as healthy as possible, used oats and whole wheat flour, no cream and not a lot of sugar.    Just perfect.

Happy Valentines Day Everyone!!



Chocolate Oatmeal Cherry Scones

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup quick oats
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries
  • 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
INSTRUCTIONS:
1)Preheat oven to 450F.  In a small bowl combine cherries and warm water and let sit for 10 minutes or so.  Drain when done, possibly reserving liquid - see note
2) In a food processor combine flours, cocoa, sugar, baking powder and salt.  
3) Add cubed butter and pulse until 5 times.   Add oats and pulse until mixture is a small crumb
4) Transfer mixture to a large bowl.  In a measuring cup mix together egg and milk. 
5) Mix the wet mixture into the crumb mixture until almost incorporated, then mix in cherries and chocolate chips, gently until just combined.
6) Place dough on a lightly floured surface, form into a circle and cut into 8 triangles.  Place on a baking sheet (covered with silpat) or a flat stone wear pan.
7) Bake for 14 minutes.  Let cool on pan for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

NOTE: I took 4 of the scones and covered them with a Nutella glaze, which was just about 1/4 cup of Nutella and some of the cherry liquid to thin it out and this was a very tasty option.







6 comments:

  1. I love chocolate and cherry together, and how healthy you made these! Happy Valentine's Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made my first scones yesterday and I'm in love. These sound SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok this is scone that I could get used to! Soooo Good looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love scones!! These look fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the unique use of the two challenge ingredients!! I love scones, but never tried a chocolate dough. I bet it tastes amazing with the addition of the cherries! Yummy! Thanks for sharing these at Saturday Share With Us! Can't wait to see what you share this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...