Image Map

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Brown Butter Heath Cookies



So far I have survived my first couple weeks back at work.   The little one loves her daycare which has made this transition easy.  The hubby drops her off and she is simply "Bye Bye Dada"  No tears, just runs to play. She is making new friends, getting active and getting tired out. I think my favorite part of my day is when I pick her up and she smiles and runs for a hug.  (Insert heart melting).  It's just so sweet.

I was worried about coming back after a year, thinking I wouldn't remember how to do things and  how to use the system.   We had just implemented a new system the year I was leaving and there were so many changes and a lot of learning.   I did pick up the system pretty quickly as I was pretty heavily involved with its transition and creating new report so I knew I had a good base in my head some where.   I also conducted several training sessions before I left to help others get up to speed. Still, a year of not even looking at it had me worried.
Turns out, I was worried for nothing.  After a week of being back it honestly felt like I never left.  Everything I had ever done just came back to me.  A bonus, because I had to rebuild several reports after a year of system tweaks and changes caused them not to work anymore.  Three weeks in now and despite a lack of sleep I am grooving along.


Brown Butter People! Brown butter in my opinion is a form of liquid gold.  Just the smell of it is so wonderful.  Nutty and rich, Drool!  It requires way more experimentation than I have tried thus far.

I have made brown butter cookies before and honestly they are worth making again and again.



For my Canadian friends if you are looking for Heath pieces you will have to venture to the US.  These wonderful little candies are like Skor bar in a candy shell.  So if you can't get them just use Skor bits and chocolate chips.


Brown Butter Heath Cookies


INGREDIENTS
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup cane sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup Heath pieces
  • 1/4 cup toffee bits
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Place the butter in a medium skillet and heat on medium low until butter begins to brown. You will begin to get a nutty smell.
  3. Place a coffee filter over a sieve over a bowl. Pour the butter on the filter to remove and separated bits. Let the butter cool.
  4. In a large bowl or mixer bowl combine butter and sugars and beat together.
  5. Add egg and vanilla and mix to combine.
  6. Add flour, baking soda and salt. Mix on low until almost combined.
  7. Add heath pieces and toffee bits and mix until just combined. Let sit 10 minutes.
  8. Using a small scoop place rounds on a parchment/silpat lined baking sheet.
  9. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Let cool on a pan a few minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...