Image Map

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Weight Loss Wednesday Week #2 - Eating Plans



No recipe today.   It is the second installment of Weight Loss Wednesday.   Today the girls and I talk about eating plans.  What we are doing, changing etc?   I will not use the word diet.  I think everyone hates that word, I hate that word.  When you are forced to give too much it is generally unsustainable.

Most people know the best way to lose weight is to consume less calories than you expend. They say 1 pound equals 3500 calories.  If you consume 3500 less calories than you burn in one week, you should lose a 1 pound a week.   Easy enough?

I would say, Not really.   Depending on what book you read, there are many people out there that believe there are other factors that play into weight loss - hormones, metabolism, food mix etc. What works for one person may not work for another and the frustration begins.

They do say though that your "eating lifestyle" is 80% and that exercise is 20% to gaining or losing weight.  I believe this to be true.  I work out 6 days a week and still struggle all because I don't always follow an ideal eating plan.  I do also believe I have a slow metabolism.  I did have it tested once while I was on actually on a my honeymoon on a cruise ship.  Let's just say, for me to cut out 3500 calories a week without exercise would literally be impossible.

Almost 10 months ago I had my sweet little girl. I put on about 25 lbs.  10 months later I am now below my pre-baby weight by 5 lbs.  I figure I finally must be doing something right.   I still would like to lose 5-10 more lbs though. (One of the reasons I am doing WLW)

I am not a fan of any drastic diet I can't maintain for a long time or that completely conflicts with my family.  I am a big fan of everything in moderation.   I am also a creature of habit.  I tend to eat the same thing several days in a row.   My two current favorite breakfasts items : Half a sprouted grain english muffin topped with a quarter of an avocado and an egg or a chocolate spinach/kale protein shake.   I find these filling enough to get me to lunch most days.
I try to only have major carbs once a day so if I have it at breakfast I won't at lunch or dinner (most days).  When I have carbs I focus on better carbs : whole wheats/grains, brown rice and especially quinoa.  Small changes, make big differences.   Lunch/Dinner is salads, fruit/yogurt, meat and veggies.   If I have had a heavy breakfast or lunch I may even have a protein shake at dinner to balance out the day.

Try this : Vegetarian Quinoa Chili

Every Friday night though we go out for dinner.  What use to be date night is now family night dinner out.  Friday night is my treat night.

My constant downfall : SNACKING!  Snacking at work, snacking when bored, snacking when relaxing at night while watching TV,  Snacking because you are a blogger and you have just baked some delicious cookies.   I know you many of you know what I am talking about.
So what have done this year, don't buy the bad snacks.  Focus on fruits, vegetables and hummus and greek yogurt.   Do I ever let myself have a bad snack?  Of course, I do!  If I never had a bad snack I wouldn't blog about it.  I just follow my rule:  Everything in Moderation. 

Here are some healthier snacks:



Apple Chips

gluten free, banana, bread, almond, dark chocolate, walnuts


Gluten Free Almond Banana Bread


Apricot Cranberry Spelt Oat Bars



Check out what the others are doing to stay on track :

Pint Sized Baker
Clarks Condensed
The Haas Machine
It's Yummi
Wonky Wonderful
Heather's French Press
Call Me PMC
Sarah SaturDIY
Slap Dash Mom






No comments:

Post a Comment

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...