Image Map

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chocolate Toffee Whoopie Pies



I had mentioned in my Pumpkin Whoopie Pies that I also made chocolate whoopie pies from the other "Baked" Cookbook - New Frontiers in order to accommodate the chocolate lovers of the family.   I don't know what is wrong with me but there is something in me that always needs to tweak, adjust or add to recipes.   Maybe that is my creative baking edge,.  I am after all left handed and probably right brained. Apparently right brained people are supposed to be good problem solvers and more creative?   Well  I am not sure about all of that but I do love to experiment with baking and coming up with new desserts or I am just obsessed with skor bits.  Theories could go either way.     Well,  I think I am finally starting to get caught up on recipes and the cookie sale is in the home stretch, post should pick up soon.   


(Adapted from Baked -New Frontiers)

INSTRUCTIONS:
  • 1 3/4 cups unbleached all purpose
  • 1/3  cup cocoa powder
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup hot coffee
  • 1/4 cup hot water
  • 1 tsp espresso powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup canola/vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk

Filling:
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, cool
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1-2 tbsp of toffee/skor bits per whoopie pie
  • 1/4-1/2 cup of caramel sauce
INGREDIENTS: 
1) Preheat oven to 350F.  In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar and oil.   In a large bowl combine the cocoa powder and espresso powder, add hot coffee and hot water and whisk until completely dissolved.  Add sugar/oil mixture to the coffee mixture and whisk together.  


2) Add eggs, vanilla and buttermilk and whisk until smooth. 




3) Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt in a medium bowl.  Fold in into wet mixture, scraping down the sides of bowl as you fold.
4) Line two baking sheets with parchment or silpat. Using a small-medium scoop , scoop on to baking sheet.  These did spread so pick which ever scoop size you want for size of whoopie pie you want, keeping in mind a 1/2 inch spread
5) Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the top is slightly cracked and toothpick comes out clean.   Let cool a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6) Make the filling : Combine egg whites and sugar in a medium bowl and place over a double boiler. Heat until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is milky white (2-3 minutes)
7) Pour into your mixer bowl and with whisk attachment, whip, starting slow to soft peaks.
8) Switch to the paddle and beat in butter on medium-high for 5 minutes.  The icing may look like it will split but it will come together.  Add salt and vanilla and beat just to combine, seconds.
9) Fill the pies - using a piping bag, scoop or spatula, add filling to one side.   Top filling with a tablespoon of toffee bits and drizzle with some caramel sauce.  Top with another pie. Let firm up in the fridge for 30 minutes.


So.... to be honest I over baked the pies a little bit so they were a bit dry, which is why I decided to add the caramel sauce.  The time I gave above is correct, I left them in longer because I got sidetracked.  The flavour however, was awesome.   Coffee always just brings chocolate to a new level of intensity. 
The filling was okay.  I have been a buttercream or cream cheese filling girl for so long that I think I just had difficulty adjusting to this one.  It is probably just my crazy head so I suggest you give it a try. Skor bits were an excellent addition, rich caramel flavour and a crunch.   I will definitely use the pie recipe again and do some further experimentation on fillings. 

MEG's RATING : D-EEE-LICIOUS (3 E's until I get used to the icing) 




4 comments:

  1. I need to make these! They look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man - I will try anything with toffee bits! These sound so yummy and the frosting looks so creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look sensational. By the way, I just made your Apple Crumble Loaf and posted about it on my blog. It was delicious. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/10/apple-crumble-loaf.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was enjoying your recap of FBC2013 when I got side tracked by the photo of these whoopie pies. Amazing! Love the espresso twist.

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...