Image Map

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream

Does anyone else out there have a sister or brother who can read your mind?  Are you so close that surprises are ruined because they seem to think exactly what you are thinking and then ask for it.   Case in point: My sister loves peanut butter cups, so I had this great idea to make her peanut butter cup ice cream for Easter dinner. Great idea right, guess what happened? She text me a few days before I started making it with the following "We are waiting for our peanut butter cup homemade ice cream." Ha, of course she did.  Surprise ruined.  Oh well, that won't stop me from making it as part of my new bi-weekly ice cream obsession.   Ice cream heaven here we come......

Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream


No low fat here
                                                                            INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 3 tbsp peanut butter
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup skim milk
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups mini peanut butter cups
INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Add egg yolk and vanilla extract in a medium bowl and whisk together.   Set aside  
2) Combine sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt in a sauce pan and whisk together.
3) Slowly stir in peanut butter, milk and cream, heat over medium-high heat whisking constantly until milk begins to boil and the liquid begins to thicken. 
4) Temper in the hot liquid into the egg yolk, by pouring a small amount into the egg yolk, whisk as you pour to combine and prevent the egg yolk from cooking.    Once combined add in the rest of the mixture, whisking all together.  
5) Cover the mixture with saran wrap, directly on the liquid to prevent a film from forming.  Let the mixture chill for several hours
6) Follow your ice cream maker instructions for final freezing - mine is 20-30 minutes. Add the mini peanut butter cups at the end of this stage depending on your instructions.  This is the last 10 minutes for me.
7) Once it has completed its cycle in your machine, transfer it to a container for storage in the freezer.   The ice cream is best frozen for a few hours.

Addiction getting stronger, can not fight it! Another ice cream success.  This ice cream is a peanut butter lovers dream.  There are no words,  other than two.  Make it.

MEG's RATING: D-EEEEE-LICOUS!!





Can't have peanuts try :  Coffee Ice Cream or Vanilla Frozen Yogurt with Mini Eggs

6 comments:

  1. This was very tasty :) A definite 5E dessert!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, That looks so very good. Peanut butter cups are the best. I am afraid to make this because I don't know if I could stop eating it :) Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Meg! I see you're using whipping cream for your ice cream. I personally find that when I use whipping cream instead of 18% that my ice cream has a waxy mouth feel...have you found that to be true?

    - Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. In recent recipes I have actually changed to 18% or 10% cream, more for a fat reduction than anything else. I don't recall a waxy mouth feel though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful series of photos. Just love the idea. My favorite candy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm now craving peanut butter cups! Holy moly this is what I call ICE CREAM!!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...