Image Map

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Layer it on me

My co-workers have definitely been benefiting from my love to bake, blog and photograph.   I think I almost get some tears when I don't show up with anything Friday mornings.   When it's someones birthday I like to bring in a dessert based on their request or at least something close to it.   This person's request was something with mars/twix, apparently my cookies a few weeks back made a lasting impression.   I wanted to the dessert to resemble a cake since it was a birthday and the brownie-cookie layer cake was born.   Layer 1 - brownie, Layer 2 - chopped mars/twix, Layer 3 - Skor blondie.   This is not a dieters dessert.   It is chocolate heaven.

INGREDIENTS:
Brownie Base (Adapted from Chef at Home)
  • 6 oz dark chocolate
  • 3/4 cup (6 oz) butter
  • 1 cup AP flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup white chocolate/semi-sweet chocolate chips
Middle Layer
  • 2 cups chopped twix/mars or any chocolate bar you like
Blondie Layer (Adapted from William Sonoma Baking)
  • 1 1/4 cups AP flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup (6 oz) Butter
  • 1 cup (7 oz) light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup skor bits
INSTRUCTIONS:
Brownie Base
1) Preheat oven to 350F.  Melt the butter and chocolate in a double boiler.  As it begins to melt, whisk until smooth, let cool.    Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.   
2) Combine the chocolate mixture, eggs, sugar and vanilla and whisk together.  Fold in the flour mixture, when half incorporated at the chocolate chips
3) Pour batter into a 10 inch round spring-form pan, lined with parchment and sprayed.  Bake for 25 minutes. 
4) Add the chopped twix/mars at the 18 minute mark of baking

Blondie Base
5) While the brownie is baking make the base. In a small bowl combine the first 4 ingredients.   In a large bowl or mixer bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy.  Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.   Add the dry ingredients and skor bits and mix on low until blended.

6) After you have added the chopped bars at the blondie base on top and lightly spread over the bars.   Bake another 25 minutes.
7) I had left over icing from the chocolate cupcakes so I piped some stars on top of the center of the cake.

What actually happened...
I added the chopped twix/mars after only 10 minutes of baking. This was too early.  The brownie wasn't nearly set so when I added the chopped bars and the blondie layer in sunk a little and then it took forever to cook. The blondie top started to get very brown so I had to cover the pan for the last 20 minutes of baking (which took 20 min longer than it should have) so that it wouldn't burn and the middle would set.  I still removed the pan before it was completely set, this however was a bonus, as it cooled the brownie base became fudgy and thick.

Despite the long baking time this turned out very well.   I mean it was a brownie, chocolate bar and cookie baked together to make a layered cake.  This isn't the type of cake you could have a big piece of,  it was very rich and sweet.  If I let the brownie bake longer it would have been a lighter and fluffier and not so intense.   The top edges were crunchy with the inside soft and chewy.   This dessert was just layered with greatness.  The birthday boy took two pieces.


MEG's RATING : D-EEEE-LICIOUS!






ALL GONE!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...