Image Map

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Mint ice cream with mint Areo bubbles.


Yep, another ice cream to add to the list. I can't help if there are lots of summer events that require homemade ice cream.  It's fate. This year I am destined to make quart after quart of delicious homemade ice cream.    Ice cream  is just the perfect summer way to cool down on those hot and humid days.  I can actually think of 3 more events coming up in August. Hmm...three new flavours to think of.   The most recent summer event that required ice cream was a friend's bachelorette party.  Ten girls ventured up to Collingwood, to hang out at a spa, get massages, enjoy the sun, drink, eat, enjoy each other's company, and celebrate the bride!  I, of course signed up to bring the desserts.   I brought the Blueberry Banana Bread, a giant cookie (to be posted) and this post, Mint Areo Bubbles Ice Cream.  I have been pretty faithful to my previous ice cream base,  as it seems to be pretty flawless. I, however am adventurous and crazy so  I am going to try another one.

Mint ice cream with mint Areo bubbles.

(Adapted from Cooks Illustrated)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/2 cups skim milk
  • 1 1/2 cups 18% or 10% cream
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 1 1/2 tsp mint extract
  • 1 bag of Areo mint bubbles
  • A tiny toothpick scrap of green food paste


INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Combine the milk, cream, 1/2 cup of the sugar, and the vanilla in a medium saucepan.  Stir over medium heat until milk is warm,  about 5 minutes.


2) In a medium bowl, whisk together the yolks and remaining 1/4 cup sugar until combined and pale yellow. Whisk half the warm milk mixture into the beaten yolks, 1/2 cup at a time, until combined. Whisk the milk-yolk mixture into the warm milk in the saucepan.  Heat over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until steam appears, foam subsides, and the mixture is slightly thickened (instant-read thermometer registers 180 to 185 degrees). Be sure to not let the mixture bowl as the eggs will curdle.


3) Using a mesh strainer/sieve, run the egg/yolk mixture into a medium bowl.  Set the bowl into a large bowl with a ice water bath. Cover the mixture with saran wrap placed on the mixture. Place in the refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours.


4) Stir in the mint extract and green paste and pour the custard into the ice cream machine canister and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
5) Chop the Areo bubbles while the mixture is churning. Add half the bubbles in the last 5-10 minutes of churning. Add the remaining bubbles my hand. Transfer the ice cream to an airtight container, press plastic wrap flush against the surface, cover the container, and freeze the ice cream until firm, at least 2 hours.

I am actually not a big fan of mint and chocolate together.  I know, I know.  It's a travesty.  I figure People are chocolate and mint fans or chocolate and peanut butter fans.  I am the latter.  I did try this though and it was quite good, smooth and minty fresh.   I don't really trust myself to rate this but the girls at the bachelorette, thought it was fantastic.  As did my co-worker who went speechless on me and simply asked when the next batch was coming in.

FRIEND's RATING : D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!

mint, areo, chocolate, ice cream








My ice cream collection to date:




    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

    Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

    Thanks

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...